GCompris For Linux.
GCompris is a high quality educational software suite, including a large number of activities for children aged 2 to 10. It is free for Linux users, but on proprietary operating systems (Windows/Mac/Android...), the full version of GCompris has a cost.
NOTE: For users of Free-Software operating systems, the full version is always free.
This means that for GNU/Linux, the installer provided and the distribution packages always have the full version.
Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational.
Here is the list of activity categories with some examples:
- Available in 50+ languages
- Computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, touchscreen ...
- Reading: letters, words, reading practice, typing text ...
- Arithmetic: numbers, operations, table memory, enumeration, double entry table ...
- Science: the canal lock, the water cycle, renewable energy ...
- Geography: countries, regions, culture ...
- Games: chess, memory, align 4, hangman, tic-tac-toe ...
- Other: colors, shapes, Braille, learn to tell time ...
Currently GCompris offers more than 100+ activities, and more are being developed.
Latest version: 3.3
As of version 3.3: Arabic and Esperanto.
It is fully translated in the following languages:
- Catalan (Valencian)
- UK English
- Norwegian Nynorsk
- Brazilian Portuguese
How to install via a terminal window:
chmod u+x gcompris-qt-3.3-Linux64.sh
Press Enter, done.