The Surfshark VPN app for Android comes packed with safety features and has a "Override GPS location" feature unique to Surfshark, allowing you to match your GPS location to the location of your VPN connection.
SurfShark is since 2021 located in the Netherlands, a country that actively participates in the Nine Eyes and Fourteen Eyes intelligence sharing alliances.
It is an excellent choice for privacy and security minded people, plus it is cheap in comparison with other VPN's out there.
Besides this you get the possibility to unblock Netflix in several regions including, but not limited to.
- United Kingdom
- United States
The company merged with NordVPN in Feb 02, 2022, blog post here.
Surfshark VPN has completed two independent security audits:
- November 2018 an audit tested their Chrome and Firefox extensions. ( PDF )
- In April 2021 Surfshark server, VPN configuration, as well as the related infrastructure was audited. ( PDF )
- The network has 3200+ servers distributed across an impressive 110+ locations in 95 countries.
All servers uses RAM-only ( No SSD or HDD )
- No logs policy ( They do not keep logs, data, timestamps, or any other kind of information )
- 1Gbps server ports.
- Unlimited "Devices" and simultaneous connections. ( Stands out amongst all VPN providers )
- P2P on selected servers ( Fast downloads ).
- Private DNS on each server.
- All apps employs a smart algorithm that automatically selects the optimal server and settings.
- AES-256-GCM encryption
- OpenVPN ( TCP/UDP )
- IKEv2 ( Only Android )
- Multihop - Use two different VPN servers at once for increased security.
- Kill switch to protect you if the VPN connection drops.
- Bypasser - Choose apps, URLs, or IPs to bypass the VPN or to use only with a VPN.
- NoBorders mode - A proprietary solution to bypass severe network restrictions.
- Camouflage Mode, commonly known as obfuscation, makes VPN traffic look like any regular traffic.
- CleanWeb for blocking malware & phishing attempts. ( blocks 1,000,000+ known-malicious websites )
- Bypasser - Although I would never recommend anyone using their Smartphone for banking online. People still do this alot, especially in Brazil. Sometimes the bank blocks VPN-services, thus you can use Bypasser for the banking app or any website that blocks your VPN.
- CleanWeb - The CleanWeb feature will keep your Android squeaky clean from ads, trackers, Malware and phishing attempts.
- End-to-end encryption - AES-256-GCM encryption. It is automatically set to WireGuard.
- GPS spoofing - The main goal is to override a GPS-enabled device’s original location. So you can't be tracked. Some websites or apps will ask you to provide your location via GPS to check that you aren't using a VPN. This feature is only available on Android devices.
- Invisible on LAN - Others on the same network as you, will not be able to see you or connect with your smartphone.
- Kill Switch - This feature disconnects you from the internet if your VPN connection drops to protect your sensitive data from prying eyes.
- No-logs policy - No monitoring or tracking and the servers uses RAM-only ( no SSD or HDD ).
- Private DNS & leak protection - private DNS on each server and leak protection when using IPv4 stack.
- Protocols - IKEv2/IPsec is a default protocol on their Android app. However, you can still select to use OpenVPN.
- Rotating IP - Automatically rotate your IP-address while you VPN location stays the same.
- Use small packets - An option that should improve compatibility with some routers and mobile networks.
- Battery saving feature - Although it is recommended not to use it for better performance. It works perfectly and for 36 hours on the first attempt, still left me with 20% of the battery on a 4 year old Smartphone by LG.
Requirement: Android version 5 or newer.
About the app itself:
How to install Surfshark Android app:
If you choose the more anonymous approach and decide to download and install the .apk file.
Then you need to change the following:
- General Tab
- Tap Unknown sources - Allow installation of apps from sources other than Google Play Store.
- Then under Tools
- You find the downloaded .apk file in Download folder
- Double tap it to begin the installation.
Note: This might look different on your smartphone, the example above is from an LG.
Note: If you are logged in on Google, using a vpn they will still know it is you !
This is how you logout from Googles services.
Surfshark ONE features:
- Surfshark Alert: Protect your identity. Requires you to activate two-factor authentication !
- Surfshark Antivirus is included. Scan your device for Malware.
- Surfshark Search: The real incognito mode for searches you don't want anyone else to see.
- 24/7 support ( sometimes a Chat Bot, but usually real people eager to help ).
- Earn free Surfshark - Share your link to invite a friend and if your friend stays for 30-days, you and your friend gets free Surfshark.
After learning about Surfshark One, let us move on to Settings:
Next you will want to click on VPN Settings:
This is where you should activate both CleanWeb and VPN Killswitch, like this:
Next you could change the Protocol if you want to, it will look like this:
I recommend you activate all options in Advanced Settings, like this:
- Invisible on LAN
- Override GPS Location
- Rotating IP
- Use small packets
How to enable the GPS override function:
- Open the Surfshark app.
- Click Settings.
- Advanced Settings.
- Enable Override GPS location.
- Click Lets Go Button.
- You will need to enable developer options on your Android device.
- About Phone
- Scroll down until you see the Build number. Quickly tap on Build number 7 times and a message saying that you are now in Developer mode will appear.
- Return to the Surfshark app and tap on the arrow to proceed to the next step.
- Enable mock locations, open Settings by tapping the button.
- In developer options, scroll down until you see Select mock location app and then tap on it.
- In the next window, all applications that are available as mock location apps will appear. Select Surfshark.
- Return to Surfshark again, and you will see that the setup is complete. Tap Close.
- Open your Maps application and check your location. It should display your location according to the location you connect to on Surfshark.
Final note on this: It works as it should and even on the telecommunications companies, not just Wi-Fi:
Look here, I am in Colombia !!!, But then I am not really....
I am far from there....
Payment methods to choose from:
- Credit cards
- Apple Pay
- Google Pay
- Amazon Pay
- Crypto (Coingate and Coinpayments)
- Android Store
- Apple Store
- Sofort (Germany)
- iDeal (Netherlands)
Note: You should connect your VPN now and check online if your IP is leaking !
Browser recommendations for Android:
- TOR Browser - Based on Firefox v91-ESR edition, doesn't leak your real IP.
- Firefox Browser V101.2.0 - In Settings: Enable HTTPS-Only Mode ( In all tabs ), Delet browsing data on quit, Data collection should be set to OFF, Open links in apps should be disabled. Install uBlock Origin plugin. Tested for IPv6 leaks and do not leak your real IP-address.
- Google Chrome - version 103.0.5060.129 did not leak the IP-address. Thus Chromium will not leak your IP-address either.
I recommend you use:
Tests were performed on a 500MBps network using WireGuard protocol Nov12, 2022:
* Star = Virtual location ! RED color means slow speed !
|Country||Server||Max Download Speed||Max Upload Speed|
|Andorra||Andorra la Veila*||40,4MBps||41,4MBps|
|Bosnia & Herzegovina||Bugojno||41,0MBps||9,42MBps|
|Costa Rica||San Jose*||38,8MBps||30,9MBps|
|Hong Kong||Hong Kong||37,3MBps||43,7MBps|
|Isle of Man||Douglas*||39,3MBps||46,3MBps|
|Macau SAR China||Macao*||41,2MBps||35,4MBps|
|Puerto Rico||San Juan*||38,9MBps||30,7MBps|
|United Arab Emirates||Dubai||34,0MBps||23,2MBps|